Site Council Notes
Attendees: Lori, Denise, Paula, Jairo, Gayle, Jamie, Marija (Katie Absent)
· Note Taker: Gayle
· Facilitator: Jamie
· Other Members: Denise Wells, Paula Williamson, Lori Dupont, Jairo Moncado, Marija Nicholson
· Absent: Katie Stobb
· Community member position: Welcome Kate!
o Kate Peruocok@puc-mn.org
· Parent Contact:
o Mailing for middle school families—did Katie take care of that?
o What about 8th grade parents or parents of students who leave Andersen?
§ It would be good to have a few members who will be leaving next year in order to make space for new parents.
§ We want to consider adding to our bi-laws the option to keep all members from 2014-2015 for the next year. In the future, we should be on an every other year basis, where half the members’ terms end every other year.
o Multicultural representation of the parents
§ We don’t have any Native American parents
· Wayneen White Eagle is recommended as a parent, Jamie will contact her.
· Monica Howard- Lori will call her parents
· Kobe’s mother-Lori will call parents
§ We have 1 Somali parent.
· Mary Mohamed’s parent
· Zachary Abdiraman’s father-Jamie will contact
· Mr. Abass is reaching out to Somali parents.
§ Todd Nathan’s dad-Lori will contact.
§ Ashley Brown’s father-Lori will contact.
o We agree that a legal guardian or parent can be a parent member, however an emergency contact cannot be a parent member.
· Parent Election
o Phone calls/invitations will be made by January 9th.
· All parents will have a chance to vote. Willing parents should write 1-2 sentences saying their intention.
o Jamie will contact parents who are interested for write up.
o Gayle will make a poster for front entryway to go with ballot to be sent home.
o Send invitations out the week of conferences and then have parents vote at conferences if they have not been done yet.
o February 9th flyers/ballots for backpack sent home, email teachers to tell them about it with Robo-Call.
§ Include a destination for form when it is given to teachers.
o Prepare flyers/ballots to give to teachers at conferences as well.
o Anonymous voting: Set up a box by Francis’ desk
· First group meeting will be March 2015
o Should we move up the meeting date to earlier in March to have input form the group?
o We will not have a special meeting with parents in February pre-budget so that Site Council has input for the budget?
o Invite Kate P as community member
· Proposed Future Agenda Items and Calendar for Site Council
o Site Council to suggest ideas for needs of the school toward the budget.
o 2015-2016 September welcome back. October/November would be heavy data review. December would be ideal time to discuss recommendations. January would be the time to finalize recommendations and proposals. February/March Denise would present budget decisions to the group.
o January 2015 Agenda to be about recommendations for next years budget from current site council.
o **Now, let’s think about the things we prioritized this year and what do we need for next year. Where are we short staffed admin wise?
o March, April, May meetings establishing agreed upon purpose/bi-laws for the future. Be sure to consider the role of Parents United and how we complement each other.
· Denise is in contact with Charlene to check on funding for child care and transportation.
· Katie made a link on the website for Site Council. Please post the minutes to the website monthly.
· Did Katie send out Middle School parent letter for Site Council?
· Traffic Control in community
o Marija reported there was more discussion about traffic control and changes are coming.
· Corporate involvement-perhaps a committee in the building to streamline relationships and involvement?
· How can we be more established in the neighborhood-how can we be good neighbors? A committee for this as well?
· Student representation on site council?
· How can we have other community members have a voice for other community members or school volunteers?