Andersen United Community School
Site Council Meeting Notes
October 28, 2014
· Paula Williamson, Marija Nicholson, Jairo Moncada, Gayle Hammer, Lori DuPont, Jamie Edwards, Denise Wells, Katie Stobb
· Meeting Time and date
o Move to 4:30 for next time
· Process for parent/family positions on site council
o Half of group must be parents
o Parents: there is a Latino parent group, there are Somali parents attending events (coffee with principal, FFLN, etc).
o How are we including African American families-how do we intentionally invite them?
o Latino, Somali, African American, Native American, Nepali
o Attention to Male and Female diversity
o Mailing to all parent? 3 meetings at different times for ‘informational meeting’-
§ KATIE mail to all middle school parents, JAMIE flyers for K-5 with report cards
§ JAMIE plan and schedule informational meeting
§ JAMIE write brief powerpoint for informational meetings, and schedule and publicize meeting
o Outreach to Somali community: elders? Leaders-Mr. Abass to help with this-DENISE to talk to Mr. Abass about this
o WHAT ABOUT: transportation? Childcare? Interpretation (see ‘other to do)
o Site council members will talk to each grade level team about parent site council recommendations
§ Paula: 1st and 2nd
§ Lori 6, 7,
§ Jairo: 4, 5
§ Gayle, K, 3, ESL
§ Katie: specialist, 8
§ Jamie: family involvement, sped
§ Marija: AEs
§ Denise: admin
· Discuss process for community position(s) on site council
o Ideas: Hospital, Children’s, DIW, Waite House, fire department, Midtown, Urban Ventures
o Each current member will select an alternate and bring name for next time. Someone needs to be there for your seat each meeting.
o Discussed unlicensed representation-we will not add more staff to this group-we need to be sure to have family representation
o Do we need a student on site council? –not required. Tabled until parents are added. The group will be very large!
· We cannot do much more (bylaws, chair and co-chair election, etc.) until we have the whole council elected.
· Meeting Space
o conference room in resource center
Other To Do:
o facebook, twitter-PAULA to talk to Beatriz and Eric about this?
· DENISE: to talk to charlene about funding
o Could south high students to child care?-MARIJA to look into this
o Should we get a grant? Where? Allina? Children’s –Gayle, Lori
§ MARIJA to check with grant manager –need $5000
o Projected budget: 32 hours of interpreting-Somali, Spanish-32 hours of child care-Transportation: 8 meetings-9 parent $20 each=180 per meeting-$1500=$5000 TOTAL for SY 2015
· Members agree to look at meeting notes within 48 hours and provide feedback. Notes will be public beyond 48 hours.
· Traffic Control in community
· Corporate involvement
· How can we be more established in the neighborhood
· Student representation on site council?
**Highlighted indicates action item.